Saturday, March 13, 2010

"But I won't be no runaway, 'cause I won't run. No, I won't be no runaway. But what makes you think I'm enjoying being led to the flood? We got another thing coming undone, and it's taking us over. We don't bleed when we don't fight, go ahead, go ahead, throw your arms in the air tonight." ~the national

The National had secret shows at Bell House in Brooklyn on Thursday and Friday, and I went to Friday's concert. As usual for a GA concert, I got a spot dead center in the front row (I'm dedicated). I was able to lean on the stage, which was really low. It was absolutely amazing to be right there. I could have easily reached out and wrapped my arms around Matt's legs; that's how close I was. I love intimate shows, and this was really as intimate as it gets. The show was great. They played eleven songs from High Velvet (their new album that isn't released until May 11th), and I can tell you that that album will be fabulous. Seriously. I'm so excited to hear the studio versions of these songs, because they're brilliant live.

I got a setlist and a lyrics sheet (Matt accidentally kicked the lyrics sheet into my face during "Abel"). Both are in my photo album here (along with the pictures I took, which aren't fabulous because I was too close and had to keep leaning pack to take photos).

I took a video of "Runaway." I filmed this song more than a year ago at Carnegie Hall and it's interesting to see how it's changed (at that time it had a different title and chorus). As usual, I recommend using the full screen option.


I recorded audio of the concert, but I'm not sharing the whole thing. The band didn't want it taped because they don't want the new songs being spread all over the internet before the album is released. That makes sense to me and I'm going to respect their wishes, although most of the new songs are already popping up elsewhere anyway. But I'm only sharing old songs. Plus a couple from the new album that have already been widely shared. I won't post "Sorrow," "Anyone's Ghost," "Little Faith (Chrome Horse)", "Afraid of Everyone," "Lemonworld," Conversation 16," "England," or "Vanderlyle." If the band doesn't like me posting the rest of my recording, I apologize and will take it down if requested.

I think it's a pretty good recording, and they played some of my favorite songs. "Apartment Story" is my favorite song of theirs, and I also love "All the Wine" and "Secret Meeting" and "Daughters of the Soho Riots;" actually, I love all these songs. It's definitely worth a few listens (because I do believe their songs are growers, and their brilliance will sneak up on you over time.)

Get Your Own Player!



I want to see if this slideshow works:


The National @ Bell House 3/12/10

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wondering, if you are a fan and the band didn't want it taped or videoed, why you would go against their wishes? I understand the fanatical nature of the band, but it seems very disrespectful to be sitting there taping it and not paying attention to the show.

Claire said...

First of all, taping does NOT mean not paying attention to the show. I didn't look at my recorder at all during the concert. I forgot it was even on.

Second of all, the only reason they didn't want it taped was because the new songs would get out. I didn't post those, even though there are now tons of videos online of almost every single one of those new songs.