Sunday, June 15, 2008

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine." ~r.e.m.

So last night's R.E.M./The National/Modest Mouse concert at Jones Beach was quite an experience. See article here. Yeah, I was there. It sucked. When lightning struck during Modest Mouse's set, it was pretty scary; it was insanely loud and lit up the entire sky. I have the audio of it on my recording and it blows out my ears every time I listen to it. So then they evacuated the theater and made us all wait for two hours, huddled under overhangs. That was a long two hours. Finally they let us back in and R.E.M. went on. Of course it poured during their entire set. I have never been so soaking wet for such a long period of time in my life (not counting being in a pool). It was miserable; everyone got completely soaked. An umbrella and raincoat were of basically no use. I was wringing out my clothes on the bus ride back. I tried to shield my recording equipment and managed to keep it dry, but I was drenched. I was sitting in a pool of water. It was ridiculous. But it allowed for some good songs. R.E.M. opened with Have You Ever Seen the Rain, which I love. They also played It's the End of the World, which they never, ever do. Before launching into it, Michael went on about how he said he would never do this song. I guess he felt really bad for us, so he decided to give us that perk. It was fabulous. Definitely the highlight of the night. So overall it was certainly eventful. I didn't make it home until after 3:00am. Now I have to prepare myself for the Tonys tonight.

No comments: