Sunday, June 15, 2008

"Broadway is dark tonight." ~the goo goo dolls

Tonight is the only night of the year that Broadway is actually dark.

I'm going to make notes here as I watch the Tonys. Probably will update the post every once in a while.

~The red carpet interviews just provided me with what I know will be the funniest moment of the evening. Apparently BRADFORD WHITLEY is currently starring in Boeing-Boeing. He must have kidnapped Bradley Whitford and taken his place. Seriously. Hilarious.

~Boeing-Boeing wins best revival of a play! HOORAY!

~They're giving out some really important awards before the telecast has even started. I'm watching it online, but I can't imagine many other people are. I guess it's because they have 13 freakin' performances to get through this year. I'm not a fan of that idea. The nominees should perform, and that's it.

~I LOVE Julie White. "Ring, ring, ring, went the bell!"

~Rondi Reed (August: Osage County) beat Mary McCormack (Boeing-Boeing) for best supporting actress in a play. I'm bummed. Mary McCormack steals that show. I think she deserved the award.

~Adam Duritz just introduced the number from Passing Strange. He looked great; he was rocking a fabulous bow tie and seemed really happy.

~YES! Lin Manuel Miranda just won best score for In the Heights, and rapped his acceptance speech. SO happy for him.

~OH.MY.GOSH. Never mind, new funniest moment of the night (still related to Boeing-Boeing, though). Mark Rylance won best actor for Boeing-Boeing and just have the most HILARIOUS ACCEPTANCE SPEECH EVER. Mary McCormack's face during the speech was priceless. I have no words. Luckily I'm sure it'll be on youtube soon.

~Great performances from In the Heights and Xanadu.

~Patti LuPone won for Gypsy; not at all surprising, but deserved. Good quote from her speech as the orchestra began to cut her off: "Shut up, it's been 29 years!"

~Winner of best musical: In the Heights. Hooray! I think it's very deserving. Overall, a great evening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a link to the red carpet interview with Bradley Whitford?