Sunday, April 27, 2008

"Saturn on a line, a sun afire on strings and wires to spin above my head and make it right. But anytime you like, you can catch a sight of angel eyes all emptiness and infinite. And I dream of Michelangelo when I'm lying in my bed, I see God upon the ceiling, I see angels overhead. And he seems so close as he reaches out his hand, but we are never quite as close as we are led to understand." ~counting crows

I've been busy lately, so I don't really have much time to write; this is just going to be a random, poorly organized assortment of stuff.

1. Yesterday I went to the Braves/Mets game. The game sucked. Chipper was out, so I was really disappointed not to see him play. Yunel Escobar was also out, so the Braves were missing two of their best players. Chipper currently has the best batting average in major league baseball, which is a huge deal, and I feel like the Braves would have won if he had been there. Alas, they lost 4-3. I was bummed. But, even though the game sucked, the experience was fun because I was there with three lovely friends. It was good to spend time with them, and it was a nice day for a baseball game.

2. I saw the Broadway production of The Country Girl last night. It stars Frances McDormand, Morgan Freeman, and Peter Gallagher and is directed by Mike Nichols. With huge names like those, you would expect it to be fabulous. I was not expecting it to be fabulous, however, because I had read reactions to early preview performances. My expectations were so low that I actually wasn't disappointed by it. Peter Gallagher definitely was the high point for me. He gave such a strong, energized performance; he lit up the stage. Frances McDormand's performance was a little off. The script and the direction seemed to be large contributors to my problems with her character, though. Morgan Freeman was underwhelming and probably miscast. I was glad to see it simply because you don't get many opportunities to see such legends onstage live. I adore Frances McDormand; she's one of the most talented actors alive. I also adore Peter Gallagher and have since long before The O.C. (although that show further cemented my feelings for him). And Morgan Freeman is wonderful. So even though it wasn't a great production, I was glad I got to see it.

3. Brothers and Sisters: does anyone else see sharks? Because I do. They played Counting Crows during tonight's episode, which almost made up for what I was dreading they would do (and actually went through with tonight). I'm sorry, but throwing in a surprise sister last season and then yanking her sisterhood away this season is jumping the shark.

4. I admit it: I grew addicted to Big Brother this season. The finale was tonight, and Adam won. I wanted to win out of the final 2, so I was happy. He seems like a good guy.

5. Tomorrow I'm going to the premiere of Made of Honor, and I'm very excited. I won tickets. It's at the Ziegfeld, and we also get to go to an after-party. Look out, McDreamy, here I come.

No comments: