Friday, September 12, 2014

I don't think I've posted theater reviews for the shows I saw this summer.

This Is Our Youth
It got a rave from Ben Brantley in the New York Times, and I enjoyed it very much. I love love love Kieran Culkin. I saw him off-Broadway a long time ago in After Ashley (alongside Anna Paquin), and I'm a fan of his film work as well. He was one of the main reasons I wanted to see this show, and he didn't disappoint. He plays a narcissist and commands the stage when he inhabits it. He's also very funny. Michael Cera is perfectly cast as Warren, and you can't help but feel the character's suffering as he bumbles his way through the play. Tavi Gevinson is lovely as Jessica. I love this quote about Kenneth Lonergan's play from Mr. Brantley's review:

"What he captures so beautifully, in this work that made his name as a playwright, is the sense of being lost, formless and on your own that descends as adolescence comes to an end and every feeling seems to contradict itself. And he translates that emotional chaos into dialogue that is as tellingly rhythmic as that of David Mamet but that sounds a lot more spontaneous....
And Mr. Cera, Mr. Culkin and Ms. Gevinson imprint highly legible and individual signatures onto their characters, in ways that extend into every inch of their postures. Whether they’re dancing or hurtling toward one another like comets sprung from their orbits, or tossing a football (and wrecking the joint in the process), these kids are achingly self-conscious in deliciously distinctive style. The characters, I mean, not the people playing them."

I love the play and this production of it. 

You Can't Take It With You
This play is a beautiful portrait of a crazy family. James Earl Jones is the patriarch, and it's always thrilling to see him onstage; he has such a commanding presence. Kristine Nielsen was the highlight for me; she's absolutely hilarious as the mother in the household (I still haven't gotten over how funny she was in Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike). Annaleigh Ashford maintains such a high level of energy as she dances through the entire show (seriously), and she's also very funny. Rose Byrne does an admirable job playing the straight man in a family of wacky characters. The set is gorgeous, the ensemble is fabulous, the play is lovely...this was such an entertaining experience at the theater. My only complaint is that I wish the kittens were in it more! I love this (from the show's website): 

I'm sure I'm missing some shows, but these two are the most recent ones that I've loved. 


No comments: