Sunday, September 14, 2014

Another quick show review, because it features one of the best performances I have ever seen:

Hedwig and the Angry Inch
I am so thrilled that I was able to return to this show. I saw it with Neil Patrick Harris (in the role for which he won a Tony Award) and absolutely loved it, but I was excited to go back and see Andrew Rannells take on Hedwig. I was completely blown away. I preferred Mr. Rannells' acting to NPH's, particularly in the quieter, more emotional moments. I suppose it helped that I had a fabulous orchestra seat this time, whereas I had a seat in the balcony for NPH so I couldn't read his facial expressions very clearly.  I also think Rannells is the better singer. I loved everything about his performance; he really made me feel for the character more deeply than I did before. His Hedwig is incredibly vulnerable, whereas NPH's Hedwig seemed a bit more hardened. Andrew Rannells giving one of the best stage performances I have ever seen, so if you have a chance to see him in the role (he's only in it for two months and has one month to go), GO. I can't tell you how incredible he is.

Here's a link to Andrew on the Tonight Show talking about the role while in rehearsals,

here's Andrew singing "The Origin of Love" (probably my favorite song from Hedwig and the Angry Inch) a few years ago:



and another short interview with him about the show:

No comments: