Tuesday, March 25, 2014

"My folks had left the TV on. I was falling in love years before I ever met someone. Like a prayer you don't expect an answer, though you ask for one. Was sure my love would come along. Like some rare bird, and only I would recognize the song. Like the actors I've seen on the television with the stage lights on." ~typhoon


I just have a random assortment of thoughts that I'm too exhausted to organize.

1. I hate iTunes 11 with a passion.

2. I love the current Broadway production of Cabaret. Alan Cumming as the emcee? Perfect. How amazing is that man? And Michelle Williams as Sally Bowles? Wonderful. Of course I knew she could act (My Week with Marilyn, Blue Valentine, Wendy and Lucy, and Brokeback Mountain feature my favorite performances of hers; she's come a long way since Dawson's Creek, and she's got three Oscar nominations at this point with more to come I'm sure). She can also sing and dance, though. Her version of the title song in Cabaret is a master class in musical theater. So that was awesome.

3. The above song is from the Veronica Mars movie soundtrack, which is, of course, fabulous (the show always featured great music).

4. The first Veronica Mars novel, The Thousand Dollar Tan Line, was released today. I started it on the subway to work this morning and finished it this evening. It featured far too little LoVe.

5. I've been reading a lot lately. Along with the Veronica Mars novel, in the past week I've read Karen Joy Fowler's We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, which made me cry way too much, and J.K. Rowling's The Cuckoo's Calling, which wasn't as good as her Harry Potter series but was better than her incredibly depressing The Casual Vacancy. I have a few books on my iPad that I'm deciding between for my next read. I think it'll be Sleep Donation by Karen Russell, even though I'm scared because I loved Swamplandia! so freakin' much that I don't see how this can compare (and I'm worried it'll make me as sad as Swamplandia! did). Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane will be on deck.

6. I don't think I wrote about my favorite books published in 2013, but I meant to. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt is at the very top of the list. Meg Wolitzer's The Interestings was also wonderful, as was Kate Atkinson's Life After Life; they take second and third place. Honorable mentions go to The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion, We Are Water by Wally Lamb, and The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton (winner of the Man Booker Prize).

7. I hate shots. I'm now getting five allergy shots a week (for my five major allergies). This means in six months I'll get 130 shots. Did I mention I hate shots?  I'm using my Veronica Mars mug to express my feelings.


I guess that's all. I feel like there was more. Maybe I'll add more soon. I have a lot of upcoming Broadway shows I'll be writing about.

No comments: