Saturday, November 03, 2012

"Some nights, I stay up cashing in my bad luck. Some nights, I call it a draw. Some nights, I wish that my lips could build a castle. Some nights, I wish they'd just fall off." ~fun.
 

Today, to celebrate the return of their power, the Public Theater (which is downtown) gave out free tickets to their shows. Nic went this morning to line up for tickets, and we went to the matinee of Giant. It's Michael John LaChiusa's newest musical. I think he's one of the best American composers writing shows today, so I was thrilled to see Giant. The show has a fabulous cast; it features Brian d'Arcy James (he's one of my favorites; I love him), Kate Baldwin, and Bobby Steggert, among others. The show tells the story of a family in Texas (1925-1952). It's a story about a marriage and a family, and a story about Texas, and it addresses the issues of racism and drilling for oil. I loved the score; it's more accessible than most of LaChiusa's work and incorporates different styles of music. I'd love to see it transfer to Broadway.

I went to a Jimmy Fallon taping on Thursday, and Louis C.K. was the main guest. He's hilarious. Here's the show:
And here I am:

Watch SNL tonight. Louis C.K. is hosting and Fun. is the musical guest, so it should be an awesome show.
Louis C.K. wrote this email before the show, and he describes the strange feeling that I believe all New Yorkers must be feeling. Yeah, you want to laugh and enjoy yourself and have fun, and then you get a glimpse of the destruction that's affected the city that you call home and that you love so dearly, and it's like being punched in the gut. But we've got to move on, right?

No comments: