Sunday, November 18, 2012

"Annabelle, the dying leaves are dancing off of the trees. They got an easy way. Let's you and me go dancing, too, wreck our dancing shoes. Hey, hey, hey." ~the felice brothers




This is just a quick theater post. Today I saw Golden Boy, a play by Clifford Odets about a violinist who decides to become a professional boxer. It was wonderful. It's three hours long, but it doesn't drag. It really is a stellar production; Bartlett Sher, Lincoln Center's go-to director, is doing a fabulous job. The cast is superb; I'm really impressed with the strong group of actors they put together. I'm not usually a big Tony Shalhoub fan (he's best known for Monk), but I enjoyed him in this. He nails every last detail of the character, from the Italian accent to the walk. Danny Burstein is as solid as ever, Seth Numrich throws himself into the role of Joe, and Yvonne Strahovski is lovely in her Broadway debut. She nails the Newark accent (you'd never guess she's Australian), and she delivers some hilarious lines.
Yvonne was incredibly nice after the performance; no one else was waiting at the stage door, so I was able to chat with her a bit, and she was very friendly.

(Photo evidence below to demonstrate that I'm working my way through meeting the cast of Chuck. I'm bummed that I took a photo with Mark Christopher Lawrence a couple years ago, aka Big Mike, but I don't have the photo; someone else does. Anyway, I'm so, so glad I met Yvonne today!)


I recently saw the Broadway show The Performers, and I'm so sad that it closed today. I loved it, and I'm disappointed that a hilarious show with such a big heart couldn't hold on longer. And what an amazing cast! Ari Graynor (love her), Cheyenne Jackson, Alicia Silverstone, Henry Winkler (the Fonz!)....
I also saw Scandalous on Broadway, and the least I say about that, the better. How can a show like that stay open and a show like The Performers have such a short run?

No comments: