Thursday, November 01, 2012

"I love the rain the most when it stops." ~joe purdy



I've been meaning to do a massive theater post for awhile, and a show that I saw yesterday has finally inspired me to actually do it.

Because I didn't have school yesterday and was sick of staying inside, I decided to walk down to Times Square and see a Broadway show. I chose The Heiress (and got a great seat because the theater was nearly empty), and it was a fabulous choice. Oh my goodness, I loved it so, so much. First of all, Jessica Chastain is amazing. She's been in a ton of great movies lately (she was nominated for an Oscar for The Help, she was in Tree of Life, Give Me Shelter, The Debt, and next she'll be in Kathryn Bigelow's highly anticipated movie Zero Dark Thirty). She deserves all the hype she's gotten over the past year. I went to see her in a TimesTalk recently and was very impressed with her, and what she said made me eager to see The Heiress. She's right;  Catherine is one of the best female roles ever written. I love her character arc. In the TimesTalk someone asked Ms. Chastain about Catherine's choice at the end of the play, and I think she gave the perfect answer in defending Catherine's decision. Her performance beautifully demonstrates Catherine's growth. The whole cast is superb; David Strathairn and Judith Ivey are particularly good, as is Dan Stevens (Matthew Crawley from Downton Abbey).

I've seen a lot of Broadway and off-Broadway shows recently because my friend and I signed up for a ticketing service for which we pay an annual fee and get to see shows they offer for a small processing fee per show. It's allowed me to see some great theater. Some shows I've seen recently are The Mystery of Edwin Drood, Don't Go Gentle, Falling, Modern Terrorism (or They Who Want to Kill Us and How We Learn to Love Them), The Exonerated, Through the Yellow Hour, and Bring It On. I now realize I don't have time to write about them all, but I did enjoy all of them.

Today I went to a taping of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. If you watch it, look for me in the front row. It's a good one to watch. Louis C.K. is the main guest, and I think he might be the funniest man alive. I absolutely adore him. It was also cool to see David Chang. It was hard to watch his cooking demo and smell the food but not get to eat it, but Chef Chang was kind enough to bring cookies from Momofuku Milk Bar for the audience! (I'm obsessed with Momofuku Milk Bar; their candy bar pie is my favorite, but I'm also a sucker for the compost cookies and the cereal milk).

No comments: