Sunday, September 26, 2010

"I didn't mind you blaming me for your mistakes, I just held you in the doorframe through all of the earthquakes." ~the antlers

Today was one of my favorite days of the year, the Broadway Flea Market. It was so much more enjoyable than last year (when it was moved inside because of rain). I spent way too much money and bought way too much stuff, but it's once a year, I love owning special Broadway memorabilia from my favorite shows, and the money goes to BC/EFA (a charity that I support), so I felt okay about my splurge. I went in the morning before it technically opened and most booths were already selling stuff, so it was nice to be there before the crowds arrived and before the best stuff was sold. Here's what I bought in the morning:
I love having actual drumsticks used in American Idiot (and they're definitely used; the ends are really worn out), the prop letters from A Little Night Music are pretty cool, and the Boeing Boeing bag was only $5 and came with a bunch of stuff inside (keychains, luggage tag, mousepad), so I thought it was a good deal. Nothing in the above photo cost more than $10.

I went back later in the day, when the prices were dropped. At one table you could fill a bag with as much stuff as possible for just $1 total. I got a few window cards, a Behanding in Spokane script, an opening night playbill from Long Day's Journey Into Night...there were lots of goodies. I also got a big reasons to be pretty poster for $1. My biggest splurge of the day was a hat from the recent revival of Guys and Dolls signed by the entire cast. That was the only thing that cost more than $10. My biggest problem now is figuring out what to do with all my acquisitions. I've already updated the wall above my bed:
As you can see, the top row is devoted to my favorite playwright, Martin McDonagh. The wall is probably too crowded, but I don't care. I love looking at these.

I'm already excited for next year's Flea Market.

ETA: I'm testing a .gif here (Claire taking a watermelon in the face on the season premiere of The Amazing Race).

GIFSoup

No comments: