Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"We beg rebirth to take us up, parade our souls out by the back gate. Some claw the ground, some cut the air, some warm the seas, but what will you be and when?" ~freelance whales

Oh my goodness. Covert Affairs, Covert Affairs, Covert Affairs. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. You have a strong, intelligent female protagonist who is incredibly layered and likable, largely due to the talents of Piper Perabo. I've seen most of her work; I've seen her onstage, I've seen her movies, and trust me, Perabo is at her very best in this series. Her character Annie is a witty, vulnerable, confused, determined, stylish, physically strong CIA agent whom viewers can't help but love. You have a fabulous cast of supporting characters, the best one being Auggie, played by Christopher Gorham (probably best known for Ugly Betty). He's funny and charming and sweet and conflicted and he and Annie have amazing banter. You have Peter Gallagher. (Need I say more? I'm in love with Peter Gallagher.) And Sendhil Ramamurthy (Heroes). You have action and comedy and heart and you make people think. You're definitely the best show of the summer and I cannot wait until you return for a second season.

The finale? Wow. First of all, Anna Chlumsky played a big part, and I love her. To me, she will always be Vada Sultenfuss, the heart of My Girl. Oh, how i love that movie. I need to go rewatch it. I cry every time. In Covert Affairs I recognized her easily even though she's grown up now, but what surprised me was her voice; her voice sounds different to me. What else to say about the finale without spoiling anything? It made me sad. Really sad.

Chuck returns in five days! Season four premieres Monday, September 20th, 8:00pm(est) on NBC. Seasons one through three are all out on DVD so you can catch up if you need to! NBC finally aired a promo (don't even get me started on how crappy NBC is for not promoting this show). This season will be awesome, trust me.

3 comments:

Denise said...

Is Covert Affairs a new show? So as I read this, it's worth watching? I'll put it on my 'to watch' list then. :)

Claire said...

Yep, it's a new show that started this summer. :) The first season had 11 episodes, and the finale was on Tuesday. It's really good, you should check it out!

Denise said...

I just watched the trailer on youtube and it looks really fun! I think I'll catch up on it this weekend. :D
Thanks for recommending it. Once again. :D