Friday, July 10, 2009

"A gypsy wind is blowing warm tonight. The sky is starlit and the time is right..." ~bob seger

My parents moved yesterday. The house is completely empty. I wasn't there for the final stages of packing and leaving, and I'm glad I wasn't. They're on the road right now somewhere in Illinois (probably further by now), heading to Colorado. I'm also glad I don't have to sit through that 30+ hour car trip. I don't know if I can write about how I feel about the move right now. It's not an easy thing to think about, losing the house you grew up in, where you spent the last 20 years of your life. In fact, it's pretty difficult. Everyone back at home was really great, though. I have some wonderful friends and neighbors there. About 20 people made their homes available to me anytime. At our going-away party a few weeks ago, people kept coming up to me and telling me that they're here for me and I can come stay with them anytime I want to. After one lovely family friend offered to be my second mom whenever I'm sick or just want to be taken care of, my cousin Bess (who was sitting next to me) leaned over and whispered, "Don't these people know you live a 10-minute subway ride away from family? That we'll take care of you?" It felt good to feel so much support. Another woman said to me, "This must be really hard for you." And just that simple acknowledgment meant a lot. Because it doesn't seem like my family understands what the move means for me and how hard it is on me.

On a brighter note (I need to perk myself up now), I had a fabulous night last night. I went to Seth's Chatterbox and watched Seth interview Lauren Graham for over an hour from about five feet away. I can't even tell you how amazing it was. I loved hearing her talk for that long. She was very bubbly and chatty. And of course she looked gorgeous. I went with a friend from Scotland who also stayed with me last night, and it was really nice to have her here.
Here's me and Lauren after the show:

Tomorrow I'm going to Broadway Barks for more fun celebrity sightings. Hopefully I'll return with a good report.

No comments: