Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Have you ever seen a one trick pony in the field so happy and free? If you've ever seen a one trick pony then you've seen me. Have you ever seen a one-legged dog making his way down the street? If you've ever seen a one-legged dog then you've seen me.

Then you've seen me, I come and stand at every door. Then you've seen me, I always leave with less than I had before. Then you've seen me, bet I can make you smile when the blood, it hits the floor. Tell me, friend, can you ask for anything more? Tell me, can you ask for anything more?

Have you ever seen a scarecrow filled with nothing but dust and wheat? If you've ever seen that scarecrow then you've seen me. Have you ever seen a one-armed man punching at nothing but the breeze? If you've ever seen a one-armed man then you've seen me.

Then you've seen me, I come and stand at every door. Then you've seen me, I always leave with less than I had before. Then you've seen me, bet I can make you smile when the blood, it hits the floor. Tell me, friend, can you ask for anything more? Tell me can you ask for anything more?

These things that have comforted me, I drive away. This place that is my home I cannot stay. My only faith's in the broken bones and bruises I display.

Have you ever seen a one-legged man trying to dance his way free? If you've ever seen a one-legged man then you've seen me." ~bruce springsteen

Get ready for a rant, because that's what most of this post will be. I'll try and add something positive at the end.

The Oscars suck. Seriously. I am not at all happy with the nominations. Here are some complaints of mine.

~First of all, let's start with what most people agree is the biggest snub: Bruce Springsteen. He won the Golden Globe for best song and was considered to be a lock for the Oscar. And guess what? His song "The Wrestler" (for the film The Wrestler) wasn't even nominated. It's absolutely absurd that it was overlooked. It's one of the best (if not the best) songs of the year, not just including songs from movies; how on earth could it not get nominated?? And that category wasn't even full! They only nominated 3 songs, so there was room for 2 more! What were they thinking?!? I'm sorry for the excess punctuation marks, but I just can't get over it.

~Best Actress. There were two best actress winners at the Golden Globes, one for drama and one for musical/comedy. Neither was nominated for an Oscar for her Golden Globe-winning performance. Sally Hawkins was snubbed, and Kate Winslet wasn't nominated for Revolutionary Road (she was instead nominated for The Reader, for which she won a Golden Globe in the supporting category). Come on! Throw out Angelina Jolie and put in a deserving woman.

~What is with the Benjamin Button love?? Check out this absolutely hilarious video about the movie. Seriously, it's brilliant. Brad Pitt should not have been nominated. Benjamin Button should not have received 13 noms. Arg!


~Where's the love for Revolutionary Road? I say give it some of Benjamin Button's noms. Leo should have gotten Brad Pitt's slot; I really think this is Leo DiCaprio's best performance yet. And Kate Winslet, who WON the Golden Globe for this film, definitely deserved to be nominated (throw out Pitt's other half in the best actress category). Arg again!

I'm mad. Basically I completely agree with Peter Travers; there's a good video of his opinions here. But unfortunately there's nothing either one of us can do about it.

I don't feel like being positive right now. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments: