Sunday, October 19, 2008

"So you can burn me, cause we'll all be the same, the same way. Dirt in someone's eyes cried down the drain. I believe in a house in the clouds, and God's got his dead friends 'round. He's painted all the walls red, to remind them they're all dead." ~frightened rabbit

You might not have heard of Frightened Rabbit, but there's a good chance you've heard their music. Their song "Good Arms vs. Bad Arms" was on Grey's Anatomy last season and on One Tree Hill last week, and their song "The Twist" was on Chuck a couple of weeks ago. I have a feeling their popularity will increase significantly in the future. They are brilliant. I've been listening to their most recent album, The Midnight Organ Fight, nonstop for weeks. It's been hailed as one of the best albums of the year, and right now it is my favorite album of 2008. I went to see their concert last night at the Williamsburg Hall of Music and it blew me away. They're even better live than they are on their records.

I arrived very early because I wasn't sure when people would start lining up (it was GA), so I was the first person there. When I was finally allowed into the venue I claimed a spot directly in front of the stage, dead center. I was able to lean on the stage. A cool group of Frightened Rabbit fans eventually joined me up front and we chatted a little before the concert started. The Swims were the opening band, and they were pretty good. The concert was co-headlined by Frightened Rabbit and The Spinto Band, and Frightened Rabbit went on after The Swims (The Spinto Band got to close the show). Frightened Rabbit played nine songs. They played most of my favorites (The Twist, Keep Yourself Warm, Head Rolls Off); I wish they had played Backwards Walk and Poke, but overall I was happy with the setlist (when you have less than an hour onstage, something's gotta go). They had so much energy; they were all dripping with sweat by the second song. The group of fans next to me were so involved, so I didn't feel uncomfortable letting loose as well. We screamed along to all of the songs, we danced, we cheered...it wore me out, but it was fulfilling. I think the band drew from and appreciated our energy; they made eye contact and they said that it was "one of the best nights ever." It really was thrilling.

I recorded the show but it's not great because I was so close to the stage; I had to use a low recording level because I was too close to the drums, so the vocals aren't as clear and as loud as I'd like them to be. Here is a link to download the mp3 version of my recording. If you haven't listened to the album I highly recommend getting that first. And please excuse my awful singing. Also, please don't trade or sell this recording. If you want the .wav files let me know.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a really awesome show... I drove about 2.5 hours to see it and it was well worth it.