Friday, September 28, 2007

"Have you seen the little pieces of the people we have been? Little pieces blowing gently on the wind...I'm one of a million pieces falling on the ground. It's one of the reasons when you say goodbye, we'll still come around. Yeah, we will come around."

That's from Counting Crows' new song "Come Around." Which I really like. It's catchy.

Last week I had a conversation with a few of my particularly rude, disruptive kids. Here are a couple excerpts:

Excerpt 1:
J: Is this your first year as a teacher?
Me: Yes, it is.
J: Well, you know, Ms. B, junior high is the hardest to teach. It's a really, really tough age.
Me: Yeah, I'm starting to figure that out. So how about you try and make it a little easier on me?
J (shrugging): okay.

Excerpt 2:
Me: What can I do to help you? How can I make it better? How can I help you focus on the lessons?
D: Nothing. You have to know that I am who I am. Who you see in the classroom? That's me, and I'm not changing for nobody and I don't care if you have a problem with that.
Me: Okay. I don't want to change who you are. I just want to figure out how you can stay who you are while still learning something and not constantly disrupting the rest of the class.
D: You need to be meaner.
Me: Meaner?
D: Yeah. You're too nice. You need to be meaner.
(This coming from the girl who constantly yells at me for being too hard on her.)

I got meaner. That doesn't seem to be working, though. I'm dealing with some tough kids. Kids who are unbelievably rude and disrespectful. You really wouldn't believe it. I'm trying to be understanding and keep my cool. The two girls quoted above, J and D (I don't want to use names), have both been held back twice. In elementary school. They're both at the age where they could be in high school right now. I have other kids who have been held back. I really want to help them all pass sixth grade. I had a fight in my class this week. That was fun. Luckily it wasn't too bad and I got some help pretty quickly.

Multiple people called me this week to tell me that there's a character on Heroes this season with my full name (first and last). I think that's pretty cool. I have to start watching that show this season because Kristen Bell is going to be on it (she joins the cast in the fifth episode). I love her. With her narrating Gossip Girls and appearing on Heroes, the loss of Veronica Mars (best show ever) is a little easier to bear.

Last night I watched Grey's with my aunt. I think this will be a good season (it will at least be better than last season, which was pretty bad). My favorite moment: Derek sticking up for Mer in his conversation with Mark. And I thought Izzie's storyline was pretty funny.

I'm moving tomorrow. Actually, I'm moving out of my current apartment tomorrow and am moving into my new apartment on Monday evening. I'm staying with my aunt and uncle over the weekend. I'm moving to Harlem and I'm really excited. I'll be living with two German girls. I'll have a much bigger room than I do now, a nice kitchen with new appliances, and a living room. And it cuts out about 45 minutes of my commute, which is the biggest plus.

Yesterday Christin and I went to Nightmare: Haunted House, which is supposedly "New York's most horrifying haunted house." The only reason I was terrified was because while we were waiting to go in, one of the actors was walking around holding what looked like a live snake (I only caught a quick glimpse before I screamed and shut my eyes). Snakes are my worst nightmare. I am absolutely terrified of them. I freak out when I see even a cartoon drawing of a snake. I can't explain how horrifying they are to me. So as we were walking through the haunted house, I was petrified that there would be snakes (there weren't). I held Christin's hand the entire time. The haunted house wasn't that scary, though. Luckily it was free because of a TONY offer Christin won and we didn't have to pay the $35 that it normally costs. I had a good time.

Earlier this week Nic and I went to the premiere of Hotel Chevalier, a short film by Wes Anderson that is the prequel to The Darjeeling Limited. There are pictures from the event on imdb (follow the movie link). Wes Anderson, Jason Schwartzman, and Natalie Portman were there for a Q&A. It was interesting. The downside was that we could hardly see anything. During the Q&A I could see Natalie Portman's head through an opening in the crowd, but that was it (I caught glimpses of the two others). Parts of the movie screen were obstructed as well. But it was free so I guess I can't complain, and I did like listening to the discussion. They were all very funny. Natalie Portman didn't talk much, but she was eloquent when she did speak.

I'm excited for the Broadway shows coming up. I'm seeing Pygmalion (with Claire Danes) in a couple of weeks, and I'm also seeing Young Frankenstein soon (with Megan Mullally, Sutton Foster, and Roger Bart). I just bought a ticket to see Cyrano De Bergerac, one of my favorite plays, in November. Jennifer Garner and Kevin Kline are starring in that one. There aren't a ton of great new shows opening this fall, but there a few gems.

I'm heading off to Blue 9 Burger now. It's my favorite restaurant down here, and since it's my last night in this apartment, I figured I'd treat myself. I don't even want to think about starting to pack.

1 comment:

Heather said...

hang in there!! it sounds like you're doing an amazing job :) rock on, fabulous.