Tuesday, October 11, 2011

There are times that walk from you, like some passing afternoon. Summer warmed the open window of her honeymoon. And she chose a yard to burn, but the ground remembers her. Wooden spoons, her children stir her Bougainvillea blooms. There are things that drift away, like our endless numbered days. Autumn blew the quilt right off the perfect bed she made. And she's chosen to believe in the hymns her mother sings. Sunday pulls its children from their piles of fallen leaves." ~iron & wine

He kills me. Seriously, I think Sam Beam is one of the best lyricists alive. And I'm seeing him tomorrow! I'm going to an Iron & Wine concert at Terminal 5, and I'm really excited about it, even though it means I'll be exhausted at work on Thursday. I'm sure I'll have goodies from the show to post by this weekend.

By the way, listen for Iron & Wine on tonight's Parenthood; "Such Great Heights" plays during the birth scene.

I wanted to write an update about recent movies and plays I've seen, but I don't have much time, so I'll make it short and I'll just focus on a few movies for now.

Moneyball - go see this movie. I'm not a Brad Pitt fan, but I still loved it. This is not just a really good sports movie, it's a really, really good movie. See it even if you're not a huge baseball fan. I do happen to love the game of baseball, which made it even more interesting for me. The film is funny, touching, and beautiful. I love the score; it adds a lovely layer to the film. And it was fun to see Kerris Dorsey (Paige on Brothers & Sisters) as Brad Pitt's daughter. Her version of Lenka's "The Show?" It made me cry. Seriously. It's worth buying the soundtrack just for that.


The Ides of March - this movie is based on a play called Farragut North, which I saw off-Broadway three years ago. I enjoyed the play, which starred John Gallagher, Jr. and Chris Noth in the roles played by Ryan Gosling and George Clooney in the movie version. The movie is a solid adaptation of the play. Because I was already familiar with the plot, I could focus on the stylistic choices, and I think Mr. Clooney is a talented director. I'm a Ryan Gosling fan and I liked his performance very much; he really made this movie for me.


Drive - like I just said, I love Ryan Gosling. He does not disappoint in this movie. It's a stylish, beautifully made thriller. I realize it may sound weird that I'm using the word 'beautiful' to describe a film in which heads are stomped in and blown off, eyes are gouged with forks, and blood flows freely, but really, the cinematography is very impressive. You'll be on the edge of your seat the entire film, and it's a wonderful ride.


50/50 - My favorite actors are in so many movies this fall! In 50/50 it's Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen whom I get to enjoy. The two lead actors have great chemistry, and the film successfully balances comedy and drama to create a moving, realistic look at a difficult subject. I wanted Anna Kendrick to win the Oscar for Up in the Air, and in her supporting role in 50/50 she further demonstrates her talent.

No comments: