Saturday, April 09, 2011

"Sunday morning, I'm waking up. Can't even focus on a coffee cup. Don't even know who's bed I'm in. Where do I start? Where do I begin?" ~the chemical brothers


Although it's spring and not generally the best time for new movies, there are some new ones out now that are quite good. Here are five that I've seen in the past few months that I've enjoyed:

Hanna
Saoirse Ronan is amazing in this visually beautiful thriller. In fact, all the performances are strong; Eric Bana and Cate Blanchett are also great as usual. The score (by The Chemical Brothers) is gorgeous, the cinematography is very impressive, and I enjoyed this modern fairy tale very, very much.


Win Win
I can't say enough good things about this film. Oh, Thomas McCarthy, how I love you. This charming movie won me over with some great performances (Paul Giamatti, Amy Ryan, Bobby Cannavale, Jeffrey Tambor, Alex Shaffer, and Melanie Lynskey make up the talented cast) and a perfect mix of humor and heart. Just go see this movie.


Source Code
Jake Gyllenhaal makes this worth seeing. It's like Groundhog Day turned into a thriller. It's well-paced and entertaining. The ending didn't make sense to me, and that took away from my enjoyment. Other than that, it's a well-made film.


The Lincoln Lawyer
I love Matthew McConaughey and Marisa Tomei, so I was excited about this one. It didn't disappoint. It was a good, solid thriller with a strong screenplay and a talented cast. It was nice to see McConaughey in a serious role again; it made me want to go home and watch A Time to Kill to see more of that side of him.


Jane Eyre
This is a solid adaptation of the classic novel. Mia Wasikowska is one of my favorite young actresses, and she makes a great Jane. It's a beautiful movie.


I'll be back soon with new Broadway show reviews.

No comments: