Friday, March 18, 2011

"Honest words are like August thirds; they just both come maybe once in a year." ~david garza

This song played at the end of the Veronica Mars pilot, and it's one of the reasons I fell in love with the show in that first episode.

Thank goodness it's Friday. My Fridays at school are awful and long and incredibly trying, but once I get home, I'm thrilled. I only have random musings tonight. I'm too exhausted to put together any truly coherent thoughts.

I recently reread The Hunger Games trilogy. I could read it over and over and over again (and I can easily read the whole trilogy in less than a week). I'm in love. So of course I've been intently following rumors and news about the making of the films. I knew that whoever was cast as Katniss would become an instant star, just as Daniel Radcliffe and Kristen Stewart experienced (with Harry Potter and Twilight, respectively). My vote was for Chloe Grace Moretz. Go see Let Me In to see why (go see that movie just because it's brilliant, actually). They went with Jennifer Lawrence, who was recently nominated for an Oscar for her amazing performance in Winter's Bone. I love her, I think she's a fabulous actress, and I'm excited to see her as Katniss. I do wonder if she's not too old for the role, though. I know she's no old maid, but how old will she be when they're shooting the last film in the trilogy? She'll be 21 when they start shooting the first film, in which Katniss is sixteen. The other two most-rumored contenders for the role were Hailee Steinfeld (also with a new Oscar nom, for True Grit) and Abigail Breslin, both of whom are fourteen. Going with someone so much older was an interesting choice. It might be because it'll be easier to cast the main male roles by casting Katniss older. I do know Jennifer Lawrence will nail the acting, and I'm not at all disappointed with her being cast. I can't wait to see the movie, although of course I'm nervous about it, as I am about any book I love being turned into a film.


Here's a random piece of a conversation I had today with two of my female students:

J: Do you live alone?
Me: Yes.
C: Do you have a cat?
Me: Yes.
J: You're just like in the American movies!
C: I knew you have a cat because you always have white hairs on your clothes.
J: Do you ever get lonely living alone?

This is just a tiny snippet of a conversation with thirteen-year-old girls in my school. I'm not sure why, but I suppose that, based on American movies, my students think all white girls in their twenties live alone and own cats. It's weird for them to think of someone living alone, though. From what I've learned, they tend to live with a lot of people. Very few of them live with what we think of as the traditional family unit (mother, father, children); many of them live with grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins.

If you live near a Rita's, go on Sunday! Free ices for the first day of spring! I love Rita's.

I'm tired. That's all for now.

No comments: