Thursday, June 25, 2009

A willow deeply scarred, somebody's broken heart and a washed-out dream. They follow the pattern of the wind, ya' see, cause they got no place to be. That's why I'm starting with me..." ~michael jackson

I'm in shock about Michael Jackson's death; it was just so sudden and unexpected. He made such an important contribution to American pop music and will be missed. I swam a synchro routine to his music one year; it was such a fun routine, one of those routines that you don't mind practicing hundreds of times because listening to that music over and over was so enjoyable.

Tomorrow is the last day of school. This has been the longest week ever. Kids always love the last week of school, but it's unimaginably awful for teachers. Especially with my kids.

Last night I went to the movie premiere of My Sister's Keeper. I ran into Abigail Breslin in the bathroom for the second time (the first time was at Shea Stadium last summer). Seriously, I don't know why, but I have a habit of encountering celebrities in the bathroom (Frances McDormand, Ashley Olsen, Abigail Breslin twice...). I saw Abigail Breslin, Cameron Diaz, Jason Patric, Sofia Vassilieva, and more.

As for the movie...I was bitter going into it because I knew they changed the ending from the book. If you haven't read the book, you'll probably love the movie. I, however, have read the book (and enjoyed it very much). The first 3/4 of the film was great, but I couldn't get over the fact that they changed the ending (in the way that I expected they would). It completely changed the whole point of the story. I love this quote from the Boston Globe review:
"This book hasn’t been adapted, it’s been taken outside and shot."
Anyway, it was still a nice evening out. I love movie premieres. Free popcorn, soda, and star-sightings are pretty cool. And I was impressed with all of the performances in the film. Cameron Diaz handled her serious, drama-heavy role very well, Abigail Breslin was wonderful as usual, and Sofia Vassilieva was a very pleasant surprise (I wasn't familiar with her work going into it).

No comments: