Saturday, December 13, 2008

"Saw Cinderella in a party dress, she was looking for a nightgown. I saw the devil wrapping up his hands, he's getting ready for the showdown. I saw the ending when they turned the page, I threw my money and I ran away.
Sent to the valley of the great divide, out where the dreams all hide. Out where the wind don't blow, out here the good girls die, and the sky moves slow. Out here the bird don't sing, out here the field don't blow, out here the bell don't ring, out here the bell don't ring, out here the good girls die.
Now, Cinderella, don't you go to sleep, it's such a bitter form of refuge. Why don't you know the kingdom's under siege, and everybody needs you? Is there still magic in the midnight sun, or did you leave it back in '61? In the cadence of a young man's eyes, out where the dreams all hide." ~the killers

I am really loving The Killers' new album. The above song ("A Dustland Fairytale") is one of my favorites.

Gran sent me this article from Newsweek ("I Am Not a Babysitter"). It's a great piece on what we teachers put up with and the misconceptions about our profession. It's sad but true that teachers in America don't usually receive the respect they deserve. And it's frustrating.

I went to see the Broadway production of Pal Joey last night. Nicole got us comps, and we ended up with fabulous seats (front row center mezz). Martha Plimpton stole the show. She's fabulous. She was cast in Matthew Perry's new Showtime show, and I don't want Broadway/NYC to lose her, because she's most definitely one of the best (and hardest working) stage actresses working today. Anyway, Pal Joey was fine. Nothing special, but not awful. Christian Hoff was recently replaced by his understudy, Matthew Risch, and although Risch gives his all, I think the role needs more charisma. Stockard Channing's acting is solid in the show. I was glad I got to see it.

I've been trying to get my Christmas shopping done (I'm nearly finished), but I'm an awful shopper. I always end up buying things for myself.

Tomorrow I'm going to my aunt and uncle's apartment in Chelsea to help make/decorate Christmas cookies. I'm excited. My cousin D.J. is a freshman at Princeton and I think he'll be home, and Bess will be there, and I always love spending time with my cousins.

This coming week should be a busy one. On Tuesday I'm going to a screening of The Wrestler (I cannot wait) and next weekend I'm ushering at Prayer for My Enemy and The Cripple of Inishmaan (written by my favorite playwright, Martin McDonagh); they're two plays that I am dying to see. I'll report back. I hope I get through the school week, because the kiddles are getting crazy (even moreso than usual).

No comments: