Sunday, December 14, 2008

"And the sky is full of dreams, but you don't know how to fly. I don't have a simple answer, but I know that I could answer something better. This feeling won't go. Wait for it." ~the killers

Tonight I went to the opening night of Shrek the Musical on Broadway. It wasn't a perfect piece of theatre, but it was a fun night out. I love opening night. There were a lot of celebs there; I saw Cameron Diaz, Ben Stiller & Christine Taylor, Joan Rivers, Cheyenne Jackson, and Bobby Cannavale (I encountered the last two in the lobby before the show and each one paused directly next to me to have a conversation with their guest; it was all I could do to stop myself from staring and drooling because they are both so incredibly gorgeous).

The cast consists of some of my favorite actors, people whom I've seen in many different shows and can't get enough of, and they didn't disappoint. Christopher Sieber, whose performance as Lord Farquad I was looking forward to the most, was hi-larious. I love him. Sutton Foster, for whose talent I have no words, was perfect as Fiona. She really is one of theater's true triple threats and I am convinced that there is nothing she can't do. Brian D'Arcy James gave a strong, nuanced performance as Shrek. Daniel Breaker was funny as Donkey. The acting was definitely the strongest aspect of the show. The book was weak in some parts, but overall I enjoyed the show (I think because I went into it not expecting too much).

No comments: