Tuesday, November 25, 2008

"You spent the first five years trying to get with the plan and the next five years trying to be with your friends again. You're talking 45 turns just as fast as you can, yeah, I know it gets tired, but it's better when we pretend..." ~lcd soundsystem

I absolutely love that song and I listened to it today for the first time in a really long time. I listened to it 6 times in a row I was so happy to hear it again. I love rediscovering songs.

Last night I went to a screening of the movie Milk. It opens on Wednesday and I highly recommend seeing it. Sean Pean gave a great, touching performance. I cried. James Franco was appealing as always, and Alison Pill...I was too distracted by her curly hair to be able to judge her performance. :D No, she was good (I'm a big fan of hers, I saw her band last week).
This year's best actor race has some strong contenders. Now that I've seen Milk and Frost/Nixon (I saw that one a year ago, sitting very close to Ron Howard), I can say that I expect Sean Penn and Frank Langella to be nominated for the best actor Oscar. I haven't seen The Wrestler yet, but I believe Mickey Rourke will win for that. I've heard amazing things about it and will go the weekend it opens (I haven't seen any info about free screenings of it). The trailer alone blew me away. A song that Bruce Springsteen wrote for the film called "The Wrestler" plays in the background and is just heartbreaking.

I cannot wait for Thanksgiving. I love Thanksgiving. Every year, me and about 40 of my family members congregate in my aunt and uncle's apartment. Last year they moved into a spacious apartment in Chelsea that easily accommodates everyone (before, when they lived on the UES, it had been a little difficult for all of us to squeeze in comfortably). I get to see all of my cousins and aunts and uncles whom I love spending time with. There is bad news this year, though. My grandfather, who was so incredibly excited for Thanksgiving, broke his pelvis over the weekend; that means he and my grandmother will be stuck in South Carolina. He's very depressed that he's missing it and so am I. I love my grandparents so much and haven't seen them lately, so I'm upset that I won't get to spend this holiday with them. Hopefully they'll come up for Christmas. He had his leg amputated over the summer and I guess it's been a difficult recovery. This is just another setback that I hope he'll get over soon.

I'll leave you with the trailer for The Wrestler.

No comments: