Monday, November 03, 2008

"Sometimes I think sitting on trains, every stop I get to I'm clocking that game. Everyone's a winner now we're making that fame, bonafide hustler making my name." ~m.i.a.

This is a quick post to tell you all to go see the movie Slumdog Millionaire as soon as you possibly can. I saw a screening tonight and fell in love with it. It's probably my favorite movie of the year so far (and I see a lot of movies). It's about a teenager who is on India's version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire, and it shows him reflecting on his life before the final night. It's at 100% on rottentomatoes right now, so obviously I'm not the only person completely impressed with it. Here are some highlights from reviews that they've posted (they're much more convincing than I am):
"The movie event of the season and strong Oscar contender, this is Danny Boyle's most exuberant and exciting work since Trainspotting, benefiting immensely from the unique physical and cultural milieu."

"Boyle's most ambitious film to date is also his greatest. Simply put, Slumdog Millionaire in one of the best -- if not the best -- films of 2008, as teeming with life as the slums it depicts."

"There's never been anything like this densely detailed phantasmagoria -- groundbreaking in substance, damned near earth-shaking in style."

"Brutal and beautiful, tragic and joyful, it's one of the year's best movies, a must-see!"

"A phantasmagorical movie directed by Danny Boyle filled with dazzling and varied sights of India, characters we can identify with and cheer for, and a jubilant message about destiny and love."

"Virtually the textbook definition of a crowd-pleaser..."
Seriously, go see it whenever it's released near you (limited release November 12th, hopefully expanding soon after that). You won't regret it. It's just such a beautiful, moving film; I cannot say enough good things about it.

Trailer:

No comments: