Thursday, May 03, 2007

"I can't remember all the times I've tried to tell myself to hold on to these moments as they pass." ~counting crows

Today was my last day of student teaching. It was very hard to say goodbye. My cooperating teacher told me she's awful at goodbyes so she would give me a hug and that would be it because she didn't want to start crying. I'm awful at goodbyes as well, so we kind of blew it off and acted as if we would see each other again on Monday, which was fine with both of us. I exchanged lots of hugs with and almost started crying as a said goodbye to the two girls with whom I've spent the most time (they're AP kids so I don't even teach them, but they hang out in our classroom all the time and they feel like my friends). We took some pictures; maybe I'll post them later. Jessica gave me my first teacher gift, one of those cutesy little books that you find at the Barnes and Noble counter called "Those Who Care Teach," and we read and laughed at parts of it together. She made me the most adorable card, too. The kids in my drama class gave me a card that they all signed, and one student who was also in one of my English classes included this in his message:
"I graduated because of you...thanks so much. I can go to college now!"
He failed English first semester. Now he's the only kid in his class with an A. He worked really, really hard. He's such a great kid, and he's smart; I like him a lot. He's not graduating because of me, he's graduating because he decided to buckle down and take the class seriously. But I can't put into words how good it felt to read what he wrote. He credits me with him being able to graduate, and even though I don't think I can take credit for it, it's the most amazing feeling to have him express that sentiment. I had to try really hard not to cry when I read that.

I guess that's all for now. I'm sad. But next year I'll get a whole new crop of fabulous kids to love.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I'm so proud of you and happy for you! Gosh, you're going to be a fabulous teacher -- and it sounds like you already are :)

see you at the English thing tomorrow?...

Ruth L.~ said...

A new teacher! We need good ones. I did my student teaching 35 years ago. I'll retire after next year. A tough job, teaching is, especially today. But rewarding. Good luck as you get your own class next fall.

Claire said...

Thank you both!