Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Last weekend I was able to attend a really special event that maybe not everyone would have enjoyed but which meant a lot to me. My favorite band, The National, played their song "Sorrow" for six hours straight at MoMA's PS1. They played the song 105 times. It's hard to describe the experience, but this article does a really good job and I recommend reading the whole article. Here's just an excerpt:
Repetition is a commonly used motif in both art and music, but how many hours of despondent wallowing can one audience handle from one of the world’s most gloriously depressing bands?
“Sorrow” is a dirge of a tune, fueled by an almost break-beat-like drum line, a brass section and Matt Berninger’s purposeful, harrowing baritone. A track off their 2009 album High Violet, it begins in a typically National-istic manner: Sorrow found me when I was young / Sorrow waited / Sorrow won.

....It wasn’t until Berninger began to cry, choking on his words in the last ten minutes of the performance, that the well of emotion seemed to finally overflow, and we realized it was our turn to take over. An incredibly passionate a cappella delivery from the crowd ensued, as naturally, we had all 142 words etched in our brains’ gray matter by that time. There’s a shared experience in trauma. We were in this together. And perhaps that’s why, once the band left the stage and Kjartansson thanked us all for enduring it, we screamed for an encore. After a few minutes, the band stumbled back on. Glass of wine in hand and with a weary yet devious smile, Berninger leant into the microphone. We held our collective breath.
“This one’s called ‘Sorrow,’” he said.
 I recorded a good chunk of the performance (I made sure I got the last four hours), and here's the version where Matt broke down in the middle of the song (it's version #100):

Here's the encore (version #105):



I love unique stuff like this, especially when my favorite band is involved.

No comments: