Thursday, January 10, 2013

 "Listen to the girl as she takes on half the world. Moving up and so alive in her honey dripping beehive." ~the jesus & mary chain


This is just a very quick post on my initial thoughts about the Oscar nominations, which were announced today. I wrote about my Oscar thoughts last month, and you can read them here.

The Golden Globes are on Sunday, which I'm super excited about, mostly because Amy Poehler is hosting(!), along with Tina Fey. I think Amy Poehler is pure awesomeness. She's kind of my hero. I think her website Smart Girls at the Party is an incredible way to inspire girls to be themselves and to be passionate about something. It shows girls that it's okay to be smart, and it's a place for them to go if they need some guidance. It's empowering and wonderful. Ask Amy is my favorite segment. That's just one reason I love Amy Poehler; she seems to be a genuinely kind, friendly, giving person, and she's freakin' hilarious. Anyway, I love her and I'm super excited to see her host the Golden Globes and I'll write my reactions next week.


Oscar Noms Thoughts
1. No John Hawkes for best actor?! I adore John Hawkes and I thought his performance in The Sessions was brilliant. This is incredibly disappointing.
2. I'm so glad Quvenzhane Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild) was nominated for best actress. I'm also thrilled that the film was nominated for best picture.
3. Best Director. What. The. Heck. This category is ridiculous. No Kathryn Bigelow (Zero Dark Thirty)?!? Are you freakin' kidding me?!? She probably should have won the award and she's not even nominated. No Ben Affleck (Argo)?!? No Tom Hooper (Les Miserables)?!? No Quentin Tarantino (Django Unchained)?!? Fail.
4. Honestly, I'm glad Jacki Weaver (Silver Linings Playbook) was nominated for supporting actress instead of Maggie Smith (The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel), whom many thought would get that nomination.
5. I think Moonrise Kingdom was deserving of more than the one nomination it received (for best original screenplay). 
6. The Hunger Games should have been nominated for hair/makeup. And I think Taylor Swift should have been nominated for best song from that film ("Safe and Sound").

Fun Facts:
1. Silver Linings Playbook is the first film in more than 30 years to receive nominations in all four acting categories.
2. In the best actress categories, Emmanuelle Riva (Amour) and Quvenzhane Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild) are respectively the oldest and youngest actresses to ever be nominated.


Finally, a few videos:

Golden Globes awesomeness (how funny are they?):
An episode of Ask Amy. I love Paul Rudd's brief appearance.

Finally, the genuis that is Nick Offerman.

No comments: