Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"This could be the very minute I'm aware I'm alive. All these places feel like home. With a name I'd never chosen, I can make my first steps. As a child of 25." ~snow patrol

In case you don't know already, I am obsessed with Martin McDonagh's work. He is my favorite playwright. I've read and seen more than my fair share of Shakespeare, Miller, Chekhov, Ibsen, Williams, Wilson, Beckett...and yet Martin McDonagh is my favorite. Blasphemous, right? But I just love him. The Lieutenant of Inishmore, The Cripple of Inishmaan, The Pillowman, The Beauty Queen of Leenane...all of these are among my absolute favorite plays, and they're all written by him. So when I first heard (a long time ago) that he had a new play coming to Broadway, I was beyond excited. It's called A Behanding in Spokane. I saw it on Saturday, and of course I loved it. It's not my absolute favorite McDonagh play, but it's fabulous. It's very dark and funny, and of course (because it's McDonagh) it's wonderfully bizarre. Christopher Walken's performance really made it extraordinary; I can't imagine anyone else playing that part. Sam Rockwell and Anthony Mackie are also great. I already want to go back and see it again.



On Sunday night I went to see a reading of a new play by Jesse Eisenberg called The Ambassadors. The reading featured Eisenberg as well as Justin Bartha, Katie Kreisler, and Sam Rosen. Eisenberg is best known as an actor (I loved him in Adventureland), but he's actually a great playwright as well. I enjoyed the reading very much, and I hope the play eventually gets staged and that Eisenberg continues to write.

Tonight I'm going to see Jeremy Sisto play some music. I loved him as Billy on Six Feet Under, and it'll be fun to see him in person. Then tomorrow Nic and I are seeing All About Me on Broadway. Dame Edna and Michael Feinstein seem like quite a pair, so that'll be interesting.

All these fun things are easing the pain of being back at work this week.

And just because it's amazing, Christopher Walken reading Lady Gaga's "Poker Face:"

How can you not love this guy? Go see him on Broadway if you can.

No comments: